Monday, January 14, 2013

Book Spotlight & [Excerpt] INSATIABLE A Sydney Rye Novel Book Three Emily Kimelman









INSATIABLE
A Sydney Rye Novel Book Three
Emily Kimelman

Dark Murder Mystery

Cover Artist: Autumn Whitehurst

Book Description:

INSATIABLE is the third novel in my Sydney Rye Series of dark murder mysteries. This series feature a strong female protagonist and her canine best friend. It is recommended for the 18+ who enjoy some violence, don't mind dirty language, and are up for a dash of sex. Not to mention an awesome, rollicking good mystery!

INSATIABLE begins with private detective Sydney Rye living a simple, disciplined life in London, but when a dangerous man from her past calls, Rye finds she cannot turn him away. Robert Maxim explains that the daughter of a powerful friend has gone missing and he wants Rye to find her. In exchange he offers her something she had given up hope of ever having; freedom from her past.

With her dog, Blue, at her side, Rye meets up with her new partner, a handsome man she's not sure she can trust. Heading for Mexico City, they go undercover, posing as husband and wife. After meeting with the bereaved parents, Rye starts to sense that there is more going on than just a missing girl. But it isn't until they arrive in the Yucatan Peninsula, hot on the girl's trail in Paradise, that all hell breaks loose. Sydney has to reach out for help from old friends and deal with the consequences of her past, if she's going to find the girl and keep them all alive.



We climbed the steps to the lobby. There was no one behind the front desk. We ducked into the cool stairwell. It was a relief to be out of the sun. My run from the ship left sweat on my forehead and pooling on my back. Ana Maria's face was red with exertion and we climbed the steps slowly, enjoying the shaded path.
Our door stood slightly ajar. I leaned against it to open it more, but it stopped six inches in. My heart started racing. Where was Blue? Why hadn't he greeted me yet? I jumped back, knocking into Ana Maria as a piece of wood smashed into where my head had been. "Ana, run!" I heard her feet racing back down the steps as a man stepped through the door. He looked like a boxer. His nose was so mashed that it looked abstract. His forehead was small, a patch of white between his brown hair and his dark eyebrows. His eyes were sunken and black. They looked like the eyes of a rodent, a mouse.
I held my fists in front of my face preparing for a fight. He swung his board of wood at me, I ducked under it. The furry costume was slowing him down. On the balls of my toes, I stepped to the left and struck at the side of his face. I hit his ear. He turned to look at me, but I was already back in front of him. I struck at his lip this time and stepped around again.
Blood pooled on his split lip and mixing with saliva, journeyed down his chin. I went in low with a right hook and put all my weight into his stomach. It was like punching a stuffed animal. He grunted, recovered quickly and I felt the breeze the wood made as it missed my face by less than a millimeter. This guy was slow-moving. He wasn't as good as me.
Blane knew my training; Ana Maria's parents wouldn't be so stupid to send an amateur after me. He swung again and this time I caught the wood, twisted it against his thumb and wrenched it from his hands. He looked surprised as hell when I went to bash him in the face but stopped a half an inch short. "Who are you and what are you doing here?"
His eyes rolled in their sockets away from the wood to my face. "I was gonna bring you in."
"How about you answer some questions instead?" He nodded his head. "Firstly, where is my dog?"




A little bit about Emily ...

Emily Kimelman lives on a boat in the Hudson Valley with her husband, Sean and their dog Kinsey (named after Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone). Kimelman has a passion for traveling and spends as much time as possible in the pursuit of adventure.

Her Sydney Rye series feature a strong female protagonist and her canine best friend. It is recommended for the 18+ who enjoy some violence, don't mind dirty language, and are up for a dash of sex. Not to mention an awesome, rollicking good mystery!




0 comments: